Monday, July 7, 2008

Constantine's Sword

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars
I saw this on July 7th at Coolidge Corner

Wow! I had no idea that I would enjoy this movie as much as I did. This movie tracks Christian anti-semitism from Constantine to the Holocaust to evangelizing going on in our Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.

I was originally worried/frustrated that James Carroll had not tied Constantine and the Papacy during the Holocaust to the current day issues. It was done very well and James Carroll is in a unique position to tell this story (Carroll was a Catholic priest who left the Church soon after Vietnam and his father was the first head of the Air Force).

This documentary may seem rambling at times but it is very powerful and the message rings very forcefully. It seems a little too conclusive at the end (for my liking) but the shear weight of the story and powerfulness of the message carries this documentary to be one of the best of the year so far.

Don't miss this movie!

I intend to see Sergei Bodrov's "Mongol" tomorrow.

2 comments:

Allison C. said...

Please let me know what you think of Mongol if you don't post about it here. I saw it with Mark this weekend, and I was less than impressed - I thought Bodrov made tighter movies than that, but perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. I did kind of want to write to Prof JKV after I watched it and tell her all the things she'd taught me that I noticed in in the film, though! And the music and visuals were great, as was the main actor. It just didn't work for me as a whole.

Tommy Long said...

Can do. Meant to go tonight but I got home late. I'll probably go on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to it and I've heard good things but we'll see